Be Informed!

The First Class Breakfast Program is being implemented in schools all over Houston. I am a very involved parent, but I have only one experience to share and one point of view. In an effort to share information and inform parents, I welcome comments and guest posts!


Forward this to all who might be interested. You need to be informed and aware of what is happening in your schools.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 6 - Maybe the kids are getting tired of animal crackers?

In an interesting turn of events today more entrees were eaten than animal crackers.  Animal crackers have been served 3 times in the last week.  This is a common menu choice because they are fortified with iron and this is a way to satisfy the USDA requirement with a food item that kids will readily eat.  I must admit that I have tasted the Kolaches when I attended one of the First Class Breakfast informational sessions and they are really pretty good.  They are baked from scratch in the HISD Food Service Facility and made with whole grain flour.  I actually saw them being mixed, assembled and baked when I toured with a group last week.  Unfortunately, they are the ONLY breakfast item that contains pork, but there is a committment to provide a no-pork-kolache for breakfast next year. 

Here is today's photo and trash count


For 5 Kindergarten classes:

Milk-38
Juice-12
Kolache-10
Animal Crackers-25

2 comments:

  1. I am a teacher and there are WAAAAAY too many animal crackers being served. The kids are so sick of them, and recently they have started dipping them in their milk to make it taste better. They DO like a little bag called Bug Bites that are cinnamon graham crackers - they usually fight over these if people do not want them, and I too love to eat them! I think the school should also go to Yoplait light or fat free yogurt over that Trix stuff - there are so many yummy flavors of Yoplait they could use... I think half of the reason kids won't eat certain stuff is that it's SO repetiive- they get so excited about the eggs, chicken biscuit, and blueberry muffin, which only come every few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you are acting surprised and shocked by the trash food count! This happens every single day at every school. Children don't like fruit, so they throw it away. Some children do not like yogurt, so they throw it away. Food is being throw away in the mornings and during lunch and yes that is waist of tax money but that has been happening since I was in school. What needs to be done, is whatever food is left over ...it should be allowed to be distributed to poor familes around the community. Maybe a the class teacher can have a small refrigerator and store the milk for later on as a snack in the afternoon. When I grew up, I was taught to not wait a thing. This principal should be taught today as well!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete